Thursday, December 22, 2016

Seeing Your World Through a Stranger’s Eyes


Point of View and Home of the Brave 

by Katherine Applegate



Lucky CFG readers assigned to read Home of the Brave (HOB), I greet you and congratulate you on having splendid teachers who assign such splendid books. As Kek reminds us, “to go to school and learn is a fine honor.” (page 63)

The late fiction writer and teacher, John Gardner, famously said there are only two kinds of plots: 1. A man goes on a journey, and 2. A stranger comes to town. Home of the Brave uses both plots. Kek goes on a journey to America, and for those he meets, he is the stranger who comes to town.

Fiction invites us to use imagination and empathy to come as close as we can to seeing the world through another’s eyes. Katherine Applegate has never been a Sudanese refugee in Minneapolis, but with time, research, and careful listening, she created a character who allowed us to imagine what a real refugee might feel upon arriving in America.


In studying fiction, we talk a lot about Point of View (or POV). Who is speaking? What do they see? What do they feel? What did they know beforehand? What do they understand, and not understand? How might their past experiences shape how they react to things today?

Through Kek’s eyes, we see our own world as if for the first time. (Minneapolis isn’t Boston, but it’s close enough. Especially in winter!) Through Kek’s point of view, we see how coming to America from a war-torn place can be a blessing of safety and opportunity, and also a source of pain, loss, fear, and loneliness.


Kek’s confusion over things we understand provides much of the humor and fun of the story, and is the source of some of Kek’s day-to-day problems. Did you cringe when you saw him load the dirty dishes into the laundry machine? I did! His puzzlement over idioms and sayings we use all the time, such as “What’s up?” and “Those kids will eat you alive” and “Keep your eyes open” and “Get your feet wet” was charming and funny. But there were times when the contrast between what he was used to, and what he encountered in America, was overwhelming to him.


Think, for example, of Kek’s first visit to a grocery store. I’ll bet that you expected Kek would be amazed by all the food. You might have predicted that. But when he touched a veggie and began to cry, I was surprised. Were you? Peering more closely through his POV and memories, I began to understand. Of course, someone who had lived in a tent with a baby starving to death, someone who had waited in line for nine hours for a handful of grain, would be more than surprised at the sight of an American grocery store.  It might be horrifying to realize that while his loved ones back home die for want of basic food, many Americans can have fresh food daily, and their pick of snacks and treats. 







42 comments:

Anonymous said...

Home Of The Brave is a great book and Katherine Applegate did a great job getting into the perspective of a refugee and also adding some humor as well. this is a great book and I recommend it to everyone.

Anonymous said...

I love this book and this blog post!

Anonymous said...

this was a great vlog about Home of the Brave it is also a great story

Anonymous said...

I love how you talk about Home of the Brave uses both plots

Anonymous said...

Home of the Brave is a really good book! I agree with Julie Berry that for Kek it is hard for him to come to a new place with good foods, good education, and a new home. (For me it would it would seem overwhelming) His journey to america is really hard! His country was at war so he is a refugee who came to America. Think about if your country was at war what would you do? How would you handle it? Would you mfeel scared? Well probably, you would feel scared at least. Thank You Julie Berry for doing this blog just for the 5th graders!!

Anonymous said...

i love the poetic language

Anonymous said...

This blog is really great and I like how you identified the POV and poetic language

Anonymous said...

I love the part where you mentioned how Kek was confused by the idioms. that is my favorite part in the book!

Anonymous said...

I love this book ! I love when Kek puts the dishes in washing machine !

Anonymous said...

Hello! I really enjoyed the HOB. I thought it was funny when Kek put the dishes in the washing machine. Thank you for righting the blog it was great. See you soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi! In class I read HOB. It was really funny.I liked the dish washing machine part too. Katherine Applegate is such a good author.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing a blog just for us!I loved the part were you talked about how Kek was confused at the idioms that made me laugh.(LOL)The pictures were spectacular too!Again thanks for writing us a blog!See you March.

Anonymous said...

its amazing how tons of food is so little for some people and little amounts of food is tons of food for some people

Anonymous said...

This was great! It shows all the details of a lot of things in the book. I was also surprised by the grocery part. Thanks for the blog!

Anonymous said...

It was HILARIOUS when he put the dishes in the washing machine. It WAS really sad in the part about the starving baby.

Anonymous said...

i was also surprised when kek started crying when he touched a vegetable at the grocery store

Anonymous said...

I love the book Home of the Brave. My favorite part is when Kek puts the dishes in the washing machine. It is sooooooooo funny!Thank you so much Kathrine Applegate for writing this amazing book! :)

Anonymous said...

i like this because my mom also had to escape her country because of war and people had to see through her eyes to know how she felt

Anonymous said...

I love this blog:)
I absolutely love the book!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

my favorite part of the book is when Hannah says "whats up?" and kek looks at the sealing

Anonymous said...

This blog is as good as the amazing book!!

Anonymous said...

this blog is so good every body should read it










Anonymous said...

amazing blog! I loved it, I can't wait till you come back.

Anonymous said...

Ms. Julie Berry, this is a beautifully written and wonderfully flowing blog. It explains Kek's basic feelings without giving anything away. Nice job!

Anonymous said...


AMAZING BLOG!!!! I CANT WAIT TILL YOU COME TO TO CMS AGAIN!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Even though we read the book, the blog doesn't spoil anything, which is really good! Thanks for the blog, it's really great!

Anonymous said...

I love this blog! I love Home of the Brave(HOB)! This blog narrows down every single important part of the book! You've done it again Julie Berry!I love the part about the dishes in the washing machine!(I did cringe BTW) I really enjoyed reading this blog and having a good laugh!:)

Anonymous said...

This is a good book and I loved it so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

HOB is the best author ever and Julie Berry is one of the Best Authors!

Anonymous said...

Boston hasn't been close to winter in Minneapolis recently. i did sort of understand Kek bursting in to tears as well you i guess

Anonymous said...

I think that Julie Berry does a good job on showing us how Kek is scared, happy, and sad all at once. It was a very good blog and made me feel i was watching a movie commercial not reading a blog.

Anonymous said...

this is a wonderful blog, Kek's not knowing of things is realy funny, like when hannah says ,"whats up" and kek looks up at the celing :)

Anonymous said...

I love your blog it was so good HOB was so good i can not wait to see you again Julie Berry

Anonymous said...

this was a awesome book and i LOVED your blog post it was awesome it captured the whole book it was super awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Home of the brave is a really good book. I like how you talked about Kek's feelings in the blog. This blog is awesome!

Anonymous said...

I meant HOB is the best book ever not author:)

Anonymous said...

I read Home of the Brave to. It was really sad when the sleep story came. That was SO sad. Also, yes, it was really sad thinking about the baby and how we have so much food while a lot of people in Sudan and in other parts of the world die because of hunger. Also in the end it is so rich with authors craft. It was also kind of sad and happy at that same time. I really liked it. I'm glad you read it for us.

Anonymous said...

This book is amazing and your blog is too. This blog also reminds me of how this book shows hope and how kek can hold on to hope even if it means that he is going to have to leave is home country.

Anonymous said...

this was amazing and the humor that is put in also reminds me that kek is still getting use to this environment and how do you come up with all theese amazing blogs and storys

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thank you for writing this blog! I absolutely loved Home of the Brave!

Anonymous said...

i think we should send food and money to that country

Anonymous said...

This is so moving to hear about the people in the refugee camp dead, it makes me want to send TONS of food and snakes to them (including cake). i recommend this to trump